Passive Entry | Page 2 | Jeep Renegade Forum

Passive Entry

Discussion in 'Jeep Renegade Electrical Problems and Questions' started by Doug, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Stephen E Sauls

Stephen E Sauls New Member

Hello everyone,

My 2018 Jeep Renegade at 550 miles generated a Passive Key Service Entry Required error and it is on day 2 of going to day 3 of being in the shop.

The fun part was the dealer replaced the module, but now the fob will not start the vehicle except when it is touching the push button to start the car.

So after reading some posts on the problem, it looks like to be a regular issue with these Jeeps. I am happy it is very much in warranty so no out of pockets for me.

I did ask the dealer if I should bring the other fob with me when I come to pick up the Renegade, but he indicated that I should not.

I am leaning towards doing it anyway since I am not a big fan of the loaner they gave me ( a Chrysler Pacifica Van) drives like a land yacht.

So suggestions if this problem drags out on what to do with the error on the Passive Key Entry? Love the Jeep, already changed out the crappy OEM tires for some Toyo Celcius tires.

Thanks.

Stephen

2. Stephen E Sauls

Well, Update on Day 3 of the Renegade playing Garage Queen at the dealer.

The Passive Key Module was replaced. However, the system still did not recognize the vehicle key and would only start AFTER it was touching the push button.

So after heading back to the dealer, I decided to take the spare fob with me just in case. They ordered a new start button (from somewhere) to be installed hopefully by today.

As for that Land Yacht Pacifica, it was staying parked until I am told the Jeep is ready. Just feels too big to drive.

3. Stephen E Sauls

Back from the shop.

Here is the final cause of everything that failed on the 2018 Jeep Renegade, in regards to the Passive Entry Failure.

The main module was replaced, that did not solve it, so they ended up having to replace the Push-To-Start button. Besides that, they also had to reset and reprogram both fobs so they would work again. Basically creating two new key sets again. Both the fobs I have are brand new of course.

The Push-To-Start Button is a dicey bit of concern for those that may face a similar failure. The button is on a lengthy backorder and had they did not have the part at another dealership on the south side of Atlanta, they had debated removing one from a vehicle on the lot.

Thankfully they had a brand new one of a different lot in stock and it was utilized.

I expect this issue will crop up more as the 2018's get some use, and that will likely cause some grief down the road for other owners.

4. kelsey

kelsey New Member

... This just happened to mine.
    "Service Passive Entry System" has been on for two days. I called the dealer.. they said they had no idea, they'd have to diagnose and it may take a few days. :( Only have had it for a few months... less than 3k miles.

5. Stephen E Sauls

Take the Renegade to the dealer, bring BOTH FOBS. They will likely need to replace the passive start module and also the start button on the vehicle if both are bad. Do not let them give you a runaround.

You can point them to the push to start button as the culprit. The unit itself is on national backorder, and so you can hop that they have a new one in stock. Also since it will sit in the shop for a bit, request a rental from them.

kelsey likes this.
  6. Anne

Anne New Member

Well, first of all, signing up for this forum, I was disappointed to find that having selected "female" deserves a huge "female" symbol as an avatar. Geez... would rather go "unspecified." Who designed this????

Anyway, it's disappointing to read all the posts made over the last several years about this passive key entry system warning light and the fact that no dealership service center seems to even be aware of it! Do they even read these forums, or does corporate ever publish updates to important recurring issues like this?

I, too, now have this problem, at 3k miles, for a new 2018 Renegade (Trailhawk). I too thought it was the fob battery, so took out my spare, which solved the problem for a hot minute and then reverted back to the warning light. It also generates a worrying buzzer when you enter the car. Would be nice if the dealerships were caught up on this issue, as it appears to be fairly common...and concerning to new owners...especially when the "experts" are not even informed. Seems like corporate should have figured out a solution by now or even generated a recall if there is a systemic problem that needs to be fixed or certain parts or wiring need to be replaced to prevent it from happening in the first place. Certainly should not be happening to new cars virtually straight out of the lot... nor within the first 3 yrs of ownership.

I've seen some solutions such as 1) replacing the module in the rear gate, 2) bypassing a high-resistance wire, 3) pressing the start button once to turn on accessories, and 4) downloading recent software updates. Battery replacement for the fobs seemed to have no effect for most people. Any others that worked? What advice should I give the maintenance department?

7. Stephen E Sauls

Hello Anne,

If you read my thread about my issue, you will need to take the Renegade into the dealership, (perhaps print out this entire thread; in case you get an idiot service manager) and show them that the issue is likely related to the Push to Start Button. Do not make any modifications to the ignition system, it WILL have to be serviced by the technicians. DO take BOTH FOBS to the dealer, be insistent with them about the issue and do demand that you get a rental.

They will have to take about two days to replace the button and also the module along with updating the software. That is the best case if they have a new start button in stock, if not they will have to check other dealers.

8. Jeffrey O'Desky

Jeffrey O'Desky New Member

Perfect my 2017 is out of warranty. Service Passive Entry System message came up Guess I will start with batteries. But wait from another post you will have this too. Was on freeway on rush hour and car completely turned off on me on hot day in Phoenix Arizona. Luckily I pulled Renegade over two lanes with no acceleration and no power steering. Went thru engine saw no problems, put noticed electric fan not running and coolant temp extremely hot. Let cooled down. Started up and ran normal. 6 months later in winter lucky enough. Electric fan burnt out. Out warranty. They know they are having problems with electric fans and won’t do recall to repair. Read most are failing between 15k and 50k miles. Should get at least 100k. Jeep sucks since sold to Fiat. Also don’t forget transmissions had problem also. Thanks Fiat.

9. Anne

Anne New Member

Wow...this is all really disappointing to learn, and very concerning about safety. Maybe I should have just got a strictly manual car and put in an awesome stereo...

Did take the car to the dealership for the passive entry warning light, and thought it was fixed...but it came on again a day or two later and I had to take it in again. Has been fine since.

So now I get to look forward to the car stopping dead on the freeway without warning or turning off completely in the freezing cold or deadly scorching heat under conditions that any normal car in good working order, let alone a fancy heap of technical gizmos, would endure well. And that it will prove to be a lemon as soon as it is out of warranty.

Should have bought the cheap used manual hybrid I test drove a year ago that cost a few thousand and had low miles...

10. Rose

Rose New Member

did they figure out what was wrong? i am having the same issue and she is going back in but i am really tired of the i dont know what is wrong.

11. Kyle Bradford

Kyle Bradford New Member

I have the same problem...began around 3000 miles on my 2018. Of course, the first thing I did was to change the batteries in my fobs, which didn't solve the issue. The warning (and chime) occurs 99% of the time when entering the vehicle, and will sometimes turn off...but not very often.

I finally called the dealer for a service appointment. The service tech said it was just a software update which will take about an hour and a half. I'll let y'all know how that goes and provide what details I can.

12. IDoMy0wnRacing

IDoMy0wnRacing Member

Sometimes, after replacing the battery in the FOB.

Take the FOB and start the Jeep with it by pushing the Start Button with the FOB (press FOB against the start button), This will sync the FOB to the transponder.

I don't know why, but it worked for me.

13. Kyle Bradford

Kyle Bradford New Member

Update...

The first thing the service department tried was to clear the error, which only worked for a brief time. They then tested the RF Hub module, which was fine. The Keyless Ignition Node Module (KINM...Start button) was then tested and found faulty. This was replaced and seems to have fixed the issue. Attached is the full service description.

Attached Files:

IDoMy0wnRacing likes this.
  14. IDoMy0wnRacing

IDoMy0wnRacing Member

Awesome, glad you got it fixed.

thanks for the update.